By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director
MARIETTA, Ohio – The Capital University women's track & field team made a strong showing in its first full-squad meet of the season on Saturday at the Pioneer Classic, hosted by Marietta College. The Crusaders finished fourth out of 17 competing teams.
- The Cap distance runners reeled in 19 points after taking second, third and fourth in the 1,000 meters. Alexis Galbraith finished atop the Crusader trio (3:32.86) followed by Willow Cox (3:35.88) and Allison Costanzo (3:35.91).
- Senior Olivia Quinter (Fort Loramie, Ohio/Fort Loramie) placed inside the top-10 in her debut in the women's 400 meters. She placed ninth with a time of 1:06.80.
- Senior Emily Hilt (Delaware, Ohio/Buckeye Valley) placed second overall in the high jump after clearing 1.57 meters (5-1.75). She also picked up a pair of points behind a seventh-place finish in the 500 meters (1:37.83).
- Hilt (9.25) and Quinter (9.28) combined for nine points in the 55-meter hurdles. The duo finished fourth and fifth, respectively. Madi Campbell (9.65) finished just outside of the top-10 in her event debut.
- Senior Kassie Lee (Piqua, Ohio/Lehman Catholic) took second place in the shot put and reset her personal best in the event. She did so behind a toss of 11.95 meters (39-2.5), surpassing last week's mark of 11.80 meters. This also elevates her to No. 8 on the CU all-time shot put list passing Brittany Luc (11.58m, 2008). She also finished fourth in the weight throw (14.34m) but fell short of her PR set last week.
- Capital fielded a 4x200-meter relay team which finished second out of two (2:00.91), but yielded eight points.
THE REST OF THE FIELD
- Capital finished fourth out of 17 teams after collecting 60 points. The Crusaders finished ahead of Wilmington College by one point and was the second-highest Division III finisher in the field.
- West Virginia Wesleyan University took first as a team after scoring 101.5 points. Allegheny College (Pa.) took second place (79).
Capital will now prepare for the first of its two home meets this season. Next Saturday, January 25, the Crusaders will host the Jessica Starks Open. Field events are tentatively scheduled to start at 9 a.m. Check the athletics website – athletics.capital.edu – for updates as the meet approaches.