By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director
ASHLAND, Ohio – The Capital University men's and women's track and field teams competed in their first action of the season at the Ashland Open, hosted by Ashland University. Throwers Josh Miller and Kassie Lee highlighted the short list of performances by the Crusaders on Saturday afternoon.
IT'S MILLER TIME!
- Two-time national qualifier Josh Miller (Botkins, Ohio/Botkins) hit the ring for the first time this season and did not disappoint. In his first throws of the season, he set two new personal records.
- In the shot put, Miller recorded a best toss of 16.65 meters (54-7.5), the first of his two PRs on the day. This result placed him fifth overall in the competition. More importantly, this performance now ranks him second in the nation in the shot put and has a high likelihood to qualify him for the national meet.
- Miller also competed in the weight throw and again set a new personal record. Though he placed 13th overall in a strong field that included competitors from all three divisions, Miller set a new best with a long distance of 15.52 meters (50-11).
KASSIE CRUSHES PR
- Senior Kassie Lee (Piqua, Ohio/Lehman Catholic) also threw in the shot put and weight throw, setting a new PR in one event.
- Lee started the year on the right foot by topping her previous best in the shot put (11.47m). She did so after throwing a best 11.80 meters (38-8.75), which earned her a top-10 placement out of 20 throwers.
- Lee also threw in the weight throw event, placing ninth overall for the second time in the day. She turned in a 14.69-meter best throw (48-2.5).
OTHER NOTABLE PERFORMANCES
- Senior Emily Hilt recorded a sub-10 second time in the 60-meter dash for the first time in her career, marking a new personal best. She clocked in a 9.94-second time, placing her 16th in the event.
- Hilt also competed in the long jump where she logged a distance of 4.65 meters (15-3.25) to place 15th out of 17.
- Freshman Kelly Wilson competed in his first collegiate event and placed 10th overall in the men's 60-meter hurdles (9.10).
- Making her debut on the women's side, freshman Willow Cox placed fourth out of eight in the women's 400-meter dash behind a time of 1:05.42.
- Freshman Alexa Poling competed in both the women's shot put and weight throw. She logged 10.53 meters (34-6.75) in the shot put and 10.27 meters (33-8.5) in the weight throw to finish 14th and 20th, respectively.
- Freshman Andy Fullmer debuted in multiple field events. He logged jumps of 4.61 meters (15-1.5) in the long jump and 1.83 meters (6-0) in the high jump.
The Crusaders will participate in its first full team meet on Saturday, January 18 at the Pioneer Open, hosted by Marietta College.