Chewy Gordon Does it Again, Nails Game-Winner in Double Overtime to Beat John Carroll

Pictured: Chewy Gordon (photo credit: Joe Maiorana, Impact Action Sports Photography)
Pictured: Chewy Gordon (photo credit: Joe Maiorana, Impact Action Sports Photography)

By: Sean Neidig, sports information graduate assistant

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Capital University Men's Soccer attacked, defended and waited for a result on Saturday night in a back-and-forth contest that at times throughout the night looked headed for a loss, a win or a draw. Luckily for the Crusaders, after 103 minutes of action, Capital forced the ball in the back of the net to claim a 1-0 victory over John Carroll University in double overtime.

The Crusaders and Blue Streaks fought for 90 scoreless minutes in regulation, 10 minutes without a score in the initial overtime period and then began the second stanza of OT knowing that all three outcomes were a real possibility. John Carroll started the second overtime brightly with an early attack but was called for an offside and then the two sides battled to take control.

When Capital gained possession, the Crusaders pushed the tempo upfield and deep into JCU's territory. The Blue Streaks had a chance to clear but the attempt sailed out of bounds, giving Capital a throw-in in a favorable area. Greg Knox launched the ball into the box and it ping-ponged around before landing at the feet of Luke Morais on the left side of the goal. Morais then ripped a shot that JCU keeper Liam McIntosh was able to stop up against the post to prevent it from going in but he was not able to control it. The ball squirted out of his grasp and out in front of the goal where senior forward Chewy Gordon showed why he has 15 goals this season, pouncing on the loose ball and depositing it in the back of the net to end the game and improve Capital to 3-0 in the Ohio Athletic Conference this season. The goal by Gordon was his seventh of the season.

Before the season, John Carroll was picked to finish second in the OAC preseason poll with 40 total voting points and the Crusaders were picked third with 39. The evenness of the two sides showed on Saturday with each team taking turns controlling the pace of play. John Carroll enjoyed the most offensive success in the first half with seven shots to Capital's three but the Crusaders closed the gap by coming out with all cylinders firing in the second. Each team attempted three shots over the two overtime periods.

John Carroll had several golden chances to win the game near the end of regulation with five shots in the span of three minutes from the 83rd minute through the 85th but Capital's defense blocked three of the shots and the other two sailed high. The Crusaders' best chance to end it before Gordon's game-winner came in the 93rd minute, a rocket shot from Tristan Bentley that rang off the crossbar.

Senior keeper Logan Wiedman was a big reason why the Crusaders were in position to win the contest with four saves in his fourth clean sheet of the season. Liam McIntosh made three saves in goal for the Blue Streaks.

With the win, Capital is the only OAC team undefeated in conference and is 9-2 overall. Capital will host Marietta College on Wednesday, Oct. 10 and look to pick up the team's fourth consecutive victory. Kickoff at Bernlohr Stadium is scheduled for 7 p.m.