Crusaders Play Quakers to a 2-2 Draw, Remain Unbeaten in OAC Play

Crusaders Play Quakers to a 2-2 Draw, Remain Unbeaten in OAC Play
MASON, Ohio – In Tuesday night's Ohio Athletic Conference men's soccer match, the Capital Crusaders played to a 2-2 draw against Wilmington College. The Crusaders surrendered a two-goal advantage late in regulation, leading to the tie. They will take away one point for their effort.

Capital (8-4-1 overall, 3-0-1 OAC) controlled the better part of the first 75 minutes of regulation. With a two-goal lead, the Quakers rallied late and scored twice in a 10-minute span of time to tie the match and force overtime.

Heading into the extra sessions, Wilmington (5-6-3 overall, 0-2-2 OAC) had stolen the momentum and continued to pressure the Capital backline. The Quakers rattled off four shots to the Crusaders' one over 20 minutes of overtime.

Capital nearly ended the game with 32 seconds remaining in regulation when a pass through the middle of the field entered the box and two Capital players found themselves in prime position to knock home the winning goal. However, Josh McDaniel and Cheyn Roux both made an attempt at the shot and the mix up resulted in a harmless dribbler toward the net.

Capital scored the game's opening goal in the 37th minute by taking advantage of a Wilmington foul in front of its own cage. Stemming from a corner kick, a Capital player attempting to make a play on the ball was pulled to the ground, prompting a stoppage in play and the awarding of a penalty kick. RG Florey (Westerville, Ohio/South) was elected to take the shot and went to the top-right corner, perfectly placing his kick out of the reach of Wilmington goalkeeper Daniel Wicks.

Capital doubled its lead when Roux landed a shot from 30 yards out from the far side of the field, but bent it inside the post. It was his third goal of the season and second consecutive game with a score.

While the game looked to be in Capital's control, Wilmington has other plans. The hosts scored twice in the final 10 minutes of regulation.

The Quakers' first goal came in the same fashion that Capital's did. Capital took down a Wilmington player in the box, granting Martin Holmquist the opportunity at a penalty kick. Holmquist squeaked in a goal to bottom of the far-side post to get the Quakers on the board.

Holmquist struck again in the 86th minute when after a scrum for a loose ball in front of the Capital landed on his foot. The put back was quick and straight to the back of the net, tying the game at two with three minutes and change to go.

With the tie, the Crusaders extend their current unbeaten streak to five matches and have now won or tied seven of their last eight. They are now one of two unbeaten teams in conference play through four matches, joining nationally-ranked John Carroll University in that selective group.

Capital's next game will be this Saturday, Oct. 18 at Ohio Northern University for a 7 p.m. contest before they bring their game back home for two straight home games.