By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Capital University football team celebrated its 11 seniors and played its final game of the 2019 season on Saturday, November 16. The Crusaders were unable to keep pace with the Muskies of Muskingum University, falling in its season finale, 51-14.
- Muskingum struck first on just its fourth play of the game when Brody Hahn connected with D. Hayes Carrut on a 51-yard touchdown pass.
- Capital fumbled on its first possession, the first of SIX turnovers on the day. Muskingum converted it into six points on the very next play when the Muskies went deep into the playbook. The Muskies ran an end-around and then Cameron Near lofted a pass down the far sideline and hit quarterback Brody Hahn for 27 yards and the score.
- The Crusaders halved the lead when it got the ball back near the midway point of the first quarter. Working with a short field, Capital's Mitchell Machock hit wide receiver Mike Smith for a 24-yard touchdown.
- Muskingum's Gavin Costello hit a 37-yard and 39-yard field goal to drive the score to 20-7. The Muskies added one more touchdown in the second quarter when working with a short field Cameron Near ran the ball in from four yards out to increase the lead to 27-7.
KEEPIN' IT CLOSE
- Following a scary moment on the field after Machock took a hard hit that led to the junior being carted off the field, the Crusaders used halftime to regroup. On the first play out of the break, freshman quarterback Justin McClelland stepped in and launched a 37-yard pass to senior David Barnett (Springfield, Ohio/Shawnee) to set up their later connection that led to six points.
- McClelland then found Barnett in the corner for 19 yards and a touchdown to cut the lead to 13, 27-14.
- Muskingum returned fire and score on its very next drive that went seven plays and 75 yards over 2:55. The score was on another touchdown pass from Hahn, this time to Jacob Quinn from 25 yards out.
- Capital threw three interceptions in the second half, which all led the points. The first interception set up the Muskies next touchdown drive that ended in a two-yard scoring scamper by Bernard Johnson to make it 48-14.
- Costello added his third field goal of the game to account for its final points.
- In the meantime, Capital was held scoreless and to just 32 yards of offense over the final 28:11 of the game.
THE FINAL LINE
- Muskingum quarterback Brody Hahn went 14-for-27 for 229 yards and two touchdown passes while also leading the ground game with 13 carries, 120 yards and one touchdown. Cameron Near had a pass and rushing touchdown and 119 total yards, as well.
- Capital quarterbacks combined to go 15-for-29, 169 yards, two touchdowns, and five interceptions.
- Senior Evin Butler (Dayton, Ohio/Dayton Christian) was Cap's leading rusher, tallying 21 yards on six totes.
- Sophomore Mike Smith (Grove City, Ohio / Upper Arlington) led the receiving corps with six catches, 74 yards and one touchdown.
- Senior linebacker Kole Carter (Gallipolis, Ohio/Gallia Academy) led the CU defense with eight tackles and one pass defense.
- Defensive linemen Damian Loya and Jack Blaisdell each record sacks for the Cap defense.
- In his final game, senior wide receiver David Barnett made three catches for 51 yards and one touchdown. His final catch set the Capital receptions record previously held by Chris Copeland '01 (204, 1997-2000). His final career line reads 205 catches, 2,890 yards receiving, and 28 touchdowns. In Capital's record books he now ranks first in receptions and yards, and second in touchdown catches.
Capital ends the 2019 season with an overall record of 0-10, 0-9 in Ohio Athletic Conference play. The Muskies conclude their season at 3-7, 2-7 in the OAC.