By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director
UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, Ohio – The Capital University volleyball team hit the courts at the DeCarlo Center at John Carroll University twice on Saturday afternoon. The Crusaders took a split in its two matches with a win over the University of Pitt-Bradford.
WE OPEN WITH JOHN CARROLL
Capital Volleyball dropped a three-set match to OAC foe John Carroll in the first of its two matches at the DeCarlo Center. The Blue Streaks defeated the Crusaders in three sets by counts of 25-20, 25-13, 25-23.
- John Carroll held a slim three-point lead through most of the first set but then broke away with four of the next five points to take an early advantage.
- After the Blue Streaks ran away with the second set, the Crusaders started well in the third. However, a 9-0 run turned the Crusaders away and served up enough cushion to ride that out to a 25-23 win to clinch the match.
- Senior Kirsten Jutte led the Crusaders with 11 kills and hit .200 on the evening.
- Junior Isabel Jimenez tallied a double-double behind 10 assists and 11 digs.
- Three Crusaders put forth 10 or more digs, the most by Cap's Miranda Jordan (12).
CAP RETURNS FOR THE 'W'
Capital wasted no time getting back out onto the court and defeated Pitt-Bradford, 3-1, by counts of 25-19, 18-25, 26-24, 25-17. Capital had to finish the Panthers off in comeback fashion, but tallied its ninth win of the season in doing so.
- Capital and Pitt-Bradford split the first two sets, each taking wins by five or more points in the process. The third set proved to be a momentum shifter. Capital was down 24-21 and rallied to overcome staring down set point. The Crusaders rattled off the next five points behind a Delanie Nahikian block and two kills by Miranda Jordan to claim the third set and take a 2-1 lead.
- Pitt-Bradford got off to a strong start in the fourth, taking a 4-1 lead, but the Crusaders came back to tie it up at seven apiece. They then went on to go up by five points after outscoring the Panthers 7-2 over the next stretch. Now with a six-point lead, Capital maintained the edge and rode that to a set and match win.
- Three Crusaders landed double-digit kill totals, led by junior Leighann Osborne's 15 kills. She hit .353 behind a line of 15-3-34 and also added two block assists.
- Delanie Nahikian cranked out 11 kills and Miranda Jordan landed close behind with 10.
- Jordan also tallied a double-double in the win after adding 16 digs to her line.
- Erin O'Connell led a trio of Crusaders that finished with double-digit dig totals with 20 on the evening.
- Isabel Jimenez (28) and Jenay Kocsis (22) earned their stripes distributing the Capital offense in the set department.
Capital, now 9-15 overall, will seek its first OAC win when it hits the road for Marietta College on Tuesday night. The Crusaders and Pioneers will meet up at Ban Johnson Arena and take the court at 7 p.m.