By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Capital University volleyball team improved to 6-9 overall after its straight-set win over La Roche University, its second 3-0 win in as many matches.
ROLLIN', ROLLIN', ROLLIN'
- Despite La Roche hitting at a much higher clip than Capital in set one (.286-.189), the Crusaders managed to overcome a five-point deficit near the mid-way point of the frame. They then ran away with a 25-21 victory in the first.
- The difference in the first came from the service line where Capital recorded four aces to La Roche's one. Junior Isabel Jimenez tallied two of those, and she chipped in five of her seven digs in that frame.
- The hit percentages flip-flopped in the second with Cap holding a 25.7 percent success rate (14-5-35) to La Roche's 16.1 percent (9-4-31). Delanie Nahikian led that charge with four kills (4-0-5).
- Cap tallied another four service aces to accompany their offensive output to help them take in a 25-19 win in the second set.
- La Roche had its worst offensive showing in the third after racking up nine attack errors and hitting just .083. Meanwhile, Cap steadied the ship and drive it to its sixth victory of the season behind a 25-23 clinching win.
- Senior Kirsten Jutte (Fort Recovery, Ohio/Fort Recovery) led the Crusaders with nine kills and hit .125 (9-6-24). Four of those came in the opening set.
- Sophomore Delanie Nahikian (Allegan, Mich./Allegan) hits at a .316 clip and had eight kills to her name (8-2-19). She also chipped in on two blocks.
- Three Crusaders tallied 10 digs, including sophomore Erin O'Connell, freshman Bradan Mast, and sophomore Olivia Hale.
- Sophomore setter Jenay Kocsis took a majority of the reps and walked away with 20 assists in the win.
- Capital will open day two of its own invitational at 10 a.m. on Saturday morning against Denison University (6-5) out of the North Coast Athletic Conference.
- The Crusaders will play a second game at 2 p.m. against Franciscan University (7-4) as part of the Capital Volleyball Invitational.