Cards Come Back to Defeat Crusaders in Overtime

Pictured: Jordan Fike (photo credit: Spencer Dilyard)
Pictured: Jordan Fike (photo credit: Spencer Dilyard)

By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director

WESTERVILLE, Ohio – Despite an early goal and a defense that stayed strong for much of regulation the Capital University women's soccer team was defeated by Otterbein University in overtime on Saturday night. The Cardinals converted on a penalty kick in overtime to celebrate its Ohio Athletic Conference regular season championship at Memorial Stadium.

The game-deciding goal was scored just past the six-minute mark of the overtime session and was a monumental goal for the Otterbein side on multiple fronts. The Cardinals' continued its aggressive offensive tactics, a trait that had carried over from regulation, and created a scoring chance inside the goal box in front of the Cap cage. Otterbein forward Priscilla Severance got tangled up with freshman Morgan Eakin and the contact brought both players down to the turf. The call for a foul in the box was made and awarded Otterbein the penalty kick with the clock stopped at 4:58.

Otterbein chose its leading goal scorer Bella Shivley to take the shot. With a strong strike, Shivley went to the near-side, top corner of the goal and converted the penalty kick to break the tie. The goal not only gave Otterbein the victory but also made Shivley Otterbein's single-season goal scoring leader (15).

Capital (12-5-0, 6-3-0 OAC) had the lead for nearly three-quarters of the match and forced the Cardinals into a state of aggressive play with the early lead. The goal came in the fifth minute of the contest after Otterbein committed a costly turnover at midfield. Junior Carlee Murry (Hilliard, Ohio/Hilliard Darby) applied the pressure that caused the turnover, collected the ball and sent a pass forward to Jordan Fike (Powell, Ohio/Olentangy Liberty). On the run, the junior took the pass and drew Otterbein goaltender Erin Gordon out to make a play on a one-on-one attack. Fike made a move to create a clear line of sight to the Otterbein cage and then deliver her fifth goal of the season to put Cap up, 1-0.

Otterbein was not without chances. They made multiple advances with a pair of shots that flew wide of the Capital goal and one that hit the crossbar. The Cardinals held a 7-5 advantage in shots taken at the half and came out firing at the start of the second, nearly found the back of the net within the first two minutes following the restart.

Sophomore goalkeeper Kelly Bachmann (Zionsville, Ind./Zionsville Community) kept Capital in the match and with the lead by making multiple lead-saving stops. Her first notable save came with 32:00 on the clock when Emil Ganz made a move to create a shooting lane, takes a shot toward low-near side post where Bachmann dropped to the turf and got her left arm on the ball to make the stop. Bachmann came back with 21:44 remaining and knocked down another shot attempt using her legs to build a wall between her and an Otterbein forward. The Capital defense helped clear out the ball to keep the sheet clean for the time being.

The Cardinals had two more quality opportunities but the CU defense held it together until the 81st minute. It was at that time when Holly Bernhold took a long-distance shot from nearly 40 yards out and placed it just under the crossbar and above the outstretched arm of Bachmann for her second goal of the season to tie the game at 1-1.

Despite the loss, Capital still finds itself in good position heading into next week's Ohio Athletic Conference Tournament. With its 6-3-0 conference record, Capital finishes the regular season as the number four seed, granting them a first-round home match. They will take on fifth-seeded Baldwin Wallace Yellow Jackets on Tuesday, 7 p.m., at Bernlohr Stadium.

More information on the OAC Tournament can be found on the conference website by clicking here.