Capital Comes From Behind to Beat Albion with Late Score

Pictured: Casey King (photo credit: Spencer Dilyard)
Pictured: Casey King (photo credit: Spencer Dilyard)

By: Sean Neidig, sports information graduate assistant

ALBION, Mich. – Capital University Women's Soccer faced a quick turnaround after a game on Saturday but showed no signs of fatigue in the team's 4-3 come-from-behind win over Albion College on Sunday.

With the game tied 3-3 with fewer than 10 minutes to play on a hot day, Capital intercepted the ball in Albion's half of the field. Along the far sideline, the Crusaders passed the ball into the middle of the box to Jordan Fike. Without hesitation, Fike immediately delivered the ball to the feet of freshman Holly Barlage just a few yards away. Barlage had a clear path to the goal and rocketed the ball into the right corner of the net for what proved to be the game-winning goal. The score was the first of Barlage's college career.

Capital came out on the front foot with eight shots before the Britons could register their first.

The Crusaders broke through first with a score off of a corner in the ninth minute. A shot from Carlee Murry was blocked by an Albion defender, awarding a corner to Capital. Bridget Mallin sent the ball to the middle of the box. Jayde Hoffman leapt to get her head on it and send it into the left corner of the goal.

The Britons equalized in the 17th minute on a goal from Clare Kelley. A turnover at midfield gave Albion a chance at a counter and Alex Radzville beat a defender and dribbled her way from the right side of the pitch towards the center. As she approached the 18-yard box, she dumped the ball off to Kelley on the left side of the box. Kelley then sent a looping strike over the outstretched arm of Capital keeper Hannah Klotzche.  

The Crusaders retook the lead with 14 minutes left until the half with a score from Carlee Murry. After snuffing out an Albion attack, the Crusaders moved the ball around to push forward on the attack. In the final third, Kailey Stanisovska contolled the ball in the far corner before juking her defender to get free and move goalward. As she approached the goal, Murry cut into the box and Stanisovska found her for an easy score.

Capital outshot the hosts 12-7 in the opening 45 minutes and took four corners while only conceding one. Seven of Capital's first-half shots were on goal.

Just minutes into the second half, Albion was able to pull level again with another goal from Kelley. After earning a free kick on the left side of the box, Kelley stepped up to the ball and struck it true with another curling shot over Klotzche.

The Britons took the lead, their first of the game, just three minutes later. After building their attack, the Britons were able to set up the attack on the far side of the field with Kameryn Szalay. Szalay then found a cutting Radzville who deposited it in the back of the net.

Capital would not go down without a fight and in the 62nd minute, the Crusaders equalized with the first goal of Casey King's Capital career. The Crusaders were on the ball in Albion's end and after nearly sending it out of bounds, a Capital player was able to keep it in and pass it along to Maggie Peddicord. Peddicord then slid the ball through the Albion defense to the far post and King snuck it past the keeper to tie the match 3-3.

Capital outshot the Britons 24-13 in the game and controlled play for the majority of the contest. In her first start of the season, Klozsche made six saves. Albion keeper Megan Bricely made 11 saves.

After two games in two days, the Crusaders will have almost a week to regroup. Capital will travel to Hanover College on Saturday, Sept. 22 to take on the Panthers at 1 p.m. and then play at Thomas More College on Sept. 23 in a make-up game.