Women’s Soccer Starts Conference Play with Shutout Over Otterbein

Women’s Soccer Starts Conference Play with Shutout Over Otterbein

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Capital University's women's soccer team controlled the Otterbein University Cardinals for most of the match on Saturday afternoon.

Capital (4-5 overall, 0-1 OAC) struck first in the seventh minute on a breakaway that led to Becca Cartmill (Temecula, Calif.) feeding the ball to through the Otterbein (5-3-1, 0-1) defense to Jordan Fike (Powell, Ohio). Fike scored her second goal of the season by faking the goalie, finding an open net.

Following the score, sophomore goalkeeper Hannah Klotzsche (Avon, Ind.) made a great play on a ball that was headed toward Capital's goal. Otterbein's Megan Losey shot a high-arching ball that looked like it was going to land behind Klotzsche, the goalie jumped to deflect the ball, sending it bouncing off the crossbar and out of bounds. The play resulted in a corner kick for the Cardinals. Losey placed the ball in the box for teammate Annie Mosca, Mosca's shot was stopped short of the goal as Klotzsche pounced on top of the ball.

Capital's defense held Otterbein at bay to preserve its 1-0 lead entering the second half. In the 62nd minute, Cartmill dribbled the ball down the right sideline before passing the ball to Caroline Hester (Milford, Ohio). Hester took the shot, 30 yards out, as the ball cleared Otterbein's goalkeeper's outstretched hands for the final goal of the match.

The Purple and White outshot Otterbein 13-7. Otterbein received seven corner kick opportunities while Capital only earned two, its first coming in the second half.

Fike paced Capital with four shot attempts while Cartmill registered a game high two assists.

Klotzsche made three saves during the match, improving her goalie record to 4-5 on the season.

The Crusaders look to build momentum in the Ohio Athletic Conference as it returns to the field on Tuesday, Oct. 4 at Wilmington (5-1-2 overall). The match is set to begin at 7 p.m.