Crusaders Inaugural Season Ends in OAC Tournament

The Crusaders posted a 10-5 overall record in their inaugural varsity season. (Jeff Mills photo).
The Crusaders posted a 10-5 overall record in their inaugural varsity season. (Jeff Mills photo).


The Capital University women's lacrosse team was defeated 15-6 by Mount Union in their first-ever appearance in the Ohio Athletic Conference Tournament on Tuesday evening in Alliance, Ohio.

A furious pace by both Capital and Mount Union set the tone in the opening minute of the first half, as both teams traded goals within 13 seconds of one another.

The Purple Raiders were first to ink the scoreboard, as they did so just 21 seconds into the initial period, before freshman midfielder Korri Titus (Pickerington, Ohio) evened the score at one goal apiece at the 29:14 mark.

Following the Crusaders initial score, Mount Union tallied two straight unanswered goals, taking a 3-1 lead with 24:55 remaining in the opening half.

Freshman attack Miranda Stellini (Dublin, Ohio) then pulled the Crusaders within one goal of the Purple Raiders, following a man-up goal in the Mount Union box. Titus then followed 1:34 later with her second goal of the first half, evening the score at three goals apiece.

Neither team managed to score for over nine minutes of play, until the Purple Raiders broke the tie at the 10:31 mark, taking a 4-3 lead. Just under one minute later, Mount Union had a quick score waved off following a stick check that was found to be an ineligible stick being used, resulting in the goal being taken off the board.

Both teams then traded goals, as another score by Mount Union gave the Purple Raiders a two goal advantage with 7:13 remaining in the first half, while freshman midfielder Shannon Walton (Fairview Park, Ohio) responded just 25 seconds later to bring the Crusaders within one score.

Mount Union nearly regained its two goal advantage at the 3:56 mark, but a score in the box was again waved off, this time for an offensive foul call on the Purple Raiders. However, the Crusaders then surrendered another score with 2:32 left before halftime, proving to be the final goal of the opening half.

At the break, Capital was outshooting Mount Union 12-10, while forcing the Purple Raiders into five first half turnovers.

As the second half of play unfolded, the Purple Raiders again scored a quick goal to open the half, increasing their lead to 7-4 just 54 seconds into the final period.

The Crusaders managed to put together a few nice scoring opportunities around the Purple Raiders zone, but to no avail. Mount Union was in the same rut offensively though, as both teams went just over 13 minutes without scoring, until a Purple Raiders goal at the 16:05 mark of the second half increased their lead to 8-4.

Titus then scored her third goal of the game at the 15:42 mark, Capital's first goal of the second half and first goal in over 20 minutes of play.

With a three goal deficit at hand, the Crusaders fell behind by their largest deficit at the 11:47 mark of the final half, as Mount Union tacked on back-to-back unanswered goals, inflating its lead to 10-5.

The remainder of the game featured five additional scores by the Purple Raiders, while the Crusaders managed to tack on just one more goal on the evening.

For the game, Capital was outshot 28-16, while forcing Mount Union into seven turnovers.

Leading the way for the Crusaders was Titus, scoring a team-high three goals, while Walton followed with a pair of goals. Stellini recorded the other score for Capital.

Freshman goalie Maddie Wilson (Chagrin Falls, Ohio) saved 12 shots on a total of 27 shots faced for the game.

In the program's first varsity season, five Capital players scored 10 or more goals on the year, including four players who scored at least 22 goals.