By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Capital University women's golf team went straight from one tournament into another, wasting no time in between. The Crusaders competed in the Roseann Schwartz Invitational, hosted by Youngstown State on Monday and Tuesday among an all-Division I field of opponents.
The two-day, 36-hole tournament was held at Mill Creek Park Golf Course North in Youngstown, Ohio. Par for the course was set at 72.
Leading the way for Capital was senior Sydney Kelly (Worthington, Ohio/Thomas Worthington) who took a share of 26th place overall. She tallied rounds of 82 and 86 for a two-day total of 168.
FOLLOW THE LEADER
- Molly Frey followed up this weekend's strong performance with a strong first round and finished 31st overall. The junior followed up with a second-round score of 92 to finish up with a 176.
- Megan Maschari showed the biggest jump between rounds one and two. After shooting a 102 on Monday she returned and improved her score by 16 strokes. She and Kelly shot the best round for Cap on Tuesday behind an 86, the best single round of her career. Maschari finished 32nd overall.
- Alyssa Greening (93-98-191) and Kari Hogan (99-98-197) rounded out the remainder of the Capital leaderboard.
HOW CAP STACKED UP
- Capital was the only non-Division I team in the field, the rest being from Division I.
- Capital finished fifth out of six teams behind a team score of 358-362-720 (+144).
- Host Youngstown State won the tournament shooting just 7-over par (287-296-583) and housed the top four individual finishers.
The Crusaders will continue its frontloaded schedule at the Mount Union Fall Invitational at the Tannenhauf Golf Club in Alliance, Ohio. The event is a one-day, 18-hole event.