By: Allison Lowe, assistant sports information director
UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, Ohio - Capital University Women's Basketball defeated SUNY Fredonia in the final game of the John Carroll University Tournament on Saturday afternoon at the DeCarlo Varsity Center. The Crusaders now sit at 2-1 on the season.
Capital outscored the Blue Devils 21-16 in the first quarter. Senior Regan Stonerock (Circleville, Ohio / Westfall) chipped in ten points for the Purple and White, consisting of four layups and two free throws.
The Purple and White were outshot in the second 15-13. Sophomore Emma Burns (Westerville, Ohio / St. Francis Desales) had two layups for Capital, good for four points. The Crusaders entered the half ahead by three (34-31).
In the third quarter, Capital had a total of 12 points and 12 rebounds. Caroline Taphorn (Harrison, Ohio / McAuley) led with six points on two layups and a jumper. Capital went on to outscore the Blue Devils, 12-11.
Capital scored a total of 31 points in the fourth quarter to end the game 77-50. Capital ramped up the offensive pressure near the end of the fourth, going on a 20-2. Taphorn led the team with ten points in the fourth
- Caroline Taphorn was the leading goal scorer for Capital with 18 points, shooting 8-10 from the field and 2-3 from the free throw line. This is the first time this season she has scored in double-digit figures.
- Brooke Ommert led the team with 12 rebounds.
- As a unit, Capital shot 13.3% from the 3-point range (2-15).
- The Crusaders shot 45.6% from the field (31-68).
- Capital made 13 free throws, finishing 61.9% from the line.
Capital will take on Wittenberg University Tuesday, November 19 at home. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at the Capital Center.