By: Allison Lowe, assistant sports information director
UNIVERSITY HEIGHTS, Ohio - Capital University Women's Basketball secured its first win of the season against La Roche College in game one of the John Carroll University Tournament. The Crusaders displayed their offensive prowess as part of a 70-48 victory over the Redhawks and now sit at 1-1 on the season.
Capital started off the game with a 6-2 run and continued the offensive momentum from then on, outscoring the Redhawks 14-7 in the first quarter. Freshman Erika Linder (Prospect, Ohio / Pleasant) scored five baskets for the Purple and White. Senior Regan Stonerock (Circleville, Ohio / Westfall) chipped in four points for the Crusaders with a jumper and a layup.
The Crusaders didn't lighten up the offensive pressure in the second quarter. The Purple and White outscored the Redhawks 19-8. Senior Cassidy Bosch (Logan, Ohio / Logan) and sophomore Emma Burns (Westerville, Ohio / St. Francis Desales) both scored several baskets and Capital went into the half ahead 33-15.
In the third quarter, Burns led the Crusaders in points with two free throws and a 3-point. jumper. Capital went on to outscore the Redhawks, 17-12.
Capital scored a total of 20 points in the fourth quarter to end the game 70-48. Freshman Kaylee Cyphers (Cedarville, Ohio / Cedarville) scored nine points on seven attempts.
- Emma Burns was the leading goal scorer for Capital finishing with 11 points shooting 4-13 from the field, 2-2 from the free throw line and 1-6 beyond the arc. This is the first time this season she has scored in double-digit figures.
- Regan Stonerock and Elli Wachtman led the team with eight rebounds each.
- As a unit, Capital shot 25% from the 3-point range (2-8).
- The Crusaders shot an impressive 51.8% from the field (29-56).
- Capital made 17 free throws, finishing 81% from the line.
Capital will take on SUNY Fredonia for its final matchup of the John Carroll University Tournament on Saturday. Tipoff is set for 1 p.m.