No. 23/25 Crusaders Take Battling Bishops to a Draw

Pictured: Trevor Collins (credit: Joe Maiorana)
Pictured: Trevor Collins (credit: Joe Maiorana)

By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director

DELAWARE, Ohio – The annual matchup between the Capital University and Ohio Wesleyan University men's soccer teams has become an unofficial rivalry between mentor and mentee. Capital Head Coach Alan Yost and his former coach, Jay Martin, took their nationally-ranked teams into the Jay Martin Soccer Complex on Wednesday night for another edition of high-quality soccer. This time, the bout ended in a draw, 1-1.



  • In case you were unaware, Capital Head Coach Alan Yost played for OWU Head Coach Jay Martin during his collegiate playing days.
  • In Yost's first year at the helm, he played his mentor to a 1-1 tie. That is also the last time the two teams played to a draw.
  • Since being hired as Capital's head coach, Yost is now 3-3-2 against his alma mater. Since 2011, these two teams have played every season.
  • Capital entered the match ranked No. 23 by the United Soccer Coaches and No. 25 by Ohio Wesleyan went unranked by USC but was ranked No. 25 by


  • After 45 minutes, neither team had tallied a goal but there was far more action than the score indicated. OWU outshot Capital 13-5 in the first half, a margin it also sustained in the second.
  • Junior goalkeeper Kyle Morais stopped all three shots on goal launched towards him, including one in the opening six minutes.
  • Junior Nick Scharfenberger had Capital's first scoring chance in the first with a shot launched high above the cage in the eighth minute.
  • A total of 15 fouls were called in the first half and one yellow card administered to OWU's Antonio Romanelli. It was the first of six cards issued throughout the game.


  • Ohio Wesleyan's Ryan Roberts landed the first goal of the game. It came in the 52nd minute off a free kick by Brady Whittekind. The ball was then headed toward the cage by Hector Gomez and finished off by Roberts from the left side.


  • While Ohio Wesleyan continued to hold the advantage in possession and shot counts, the Crusaders kept battling and eventually cracked through with an equalizing goal in the 65th minute.
  • The Crusaders took advantage of a foul that landed them a free kick. Off the boot and header into the box, senior Trevor Collins put a foot on the ball and tied the game.
  • The goal was Collins' second of the season and eighth of his career.


  • While the remaining 45 minutes of the game did not net a goal for either side, it was not without action. OWU took three shots to Cap's one in the first OT, but none landed on frame.
  • Capital had two quality chances in overtime number two, both in the final minute of the match. Following an OWU yellow card, Cap placed a free kick in the box and senior Brandon Woo attempted to follow up the loose ball but the shot was blocked down at point-blank range.
  • With just over 30 seconds remaining, Greg Knox attempted to score off a free kick but the ball was punched out of the air by OWU goalkeeper, Chase Agin.


  • Ohio Wesleyan took 17 more shot attempts than Capital, 31-14.
  • Of Capital 14 shots, Greg Knox took a team-high three, landing two on goal.
  • Kyle Morais ended the night with a new career-high seven saves.
  • Scharfenberger's assist was his first and first point of the 2019 campaign.


Capital, now 3-1-3, will hit the road to take on Hanover College (Ind.) this Sunday, Sept. 29 at 3:30 p.m.