Capital Men's Soccer Heads into OAC Play on High Note with 1-0 Win

Pictured: Chewy Gordon (photo credit: Joe Maiorana, Impact Action Sports Photography)
Pictured: Chewy Gordon (photo credit: Joe Maiorana, Impact Action Sports Photography)

By: Sean Neidig, sports information graduate assistant

DELAWARE, Ohio – Capital University Men's Soccer (6-3) will be heading into conference play on a high note after defeating Ohio Wesleyan University (5-4) on Wednesday night, 1-0.

After a back and forth contest, Capital finally broke the 0-0 tie and moved ahead in the 62nd minute. After a shot by Luke Morais (Westerville, Ohio/Westerville South) was blocked, OWU's keeper misplayed the ball trying to control it. As the ball bounced off of the keeper, Chewy Gordon (Westerville, Ohio/Westerville Central) was there to send it into the back of the net. The goal was Gordon's third of the season and all Capital needed for the win.

The game was a defensive battle from the start. Capital controlled most of the play in the first half but the Battling Bishops held the advantage in shots. OWU took eight shots in the first half, four of which required saves from Capital keeper Justin Niswonger (Circleville, Ohio/Circleville), although none really threatened the senior. Niswonger finished the game with five saves. Capital was only able to take three shots in the first 45 minutes.

The second half was played at a higher pace than the first but still the Bishops held the advantage in terms of shots, 9-5. For the game, Capital only had eight shots to OWU's 16.

The most dangerous play for Capital came with half an hour left in the game when the Bishops were awarded a free kick just outside of the penalty box. Luckily for Capital, the shot sailed high and right of the goal and didn't require much defending.

OWU had another quality chance with just two minutes remaining but the shot off of a rebound went left of the goal.

Capital will begin Ohio Athletic Conference play on Saturday with a 7 p.m. matchup against rival Otterbein University at Bernlohr Stadium.