Capital Defense Stifles Denison Offense in Third Straight Win

Pictured: Hunter Stiger (photo credit: Joe Maiorana, Impact Action Sports Photography)
Pictured: Hunter Stiger (photo credit: Joe Maiorana, Impact Action Sports Photography)

By: Sean Neidig, sports information graduate assistant

COLUMBUS, Ohio – In rainy conditions at Purmort Field at Bernlohr Stadium on Wednesday, Capital University Men's Soccer (4-1) poured on two goals against Denison University (1-4) for their third-straight win.

The match started the way most Crusaders matches do, with Capital controlling possession and building play through the defense and midfield. And as it has in the past, that approach paid off and led to an early Cap lead.

With 28 minutes on the clock in the first half, Capital was busy pushing play into Denison's end. After challenging the Big Red defense, Capital secured a throw and Greg Knox flung it deep into Denison's penalty area. The ball bounced around in front of the goal and off several players before junior midfielder Daniel Bundschuh (Cincinnati, Ohio/Walnut Hills) powered it home to give Capital a 1-0 advantage. The goal was Bundschuh's third of the season.

Capital controlled the offensive play for the entire first half, taking seven shots compared to just one for the Big Red. That shot from Denison came in the sixth minute but was easily handled by Capital's senior goalkeeper Justin Niswonger (Centerville, Ohio/Centerville). Niswonger only needed to make three saves all night.

The Crusaders continued their strong offensive play in the second half and had several early chances to double their lead. A header from junior forward Luke Morais (Westerville, Ohio/Westerville South) hit off the crossbar in the 52nd minute. Capital had a corner shortly after that but nothing came from it.

Several minutes after that though, in the 62nd minute, Capital increased its lead to two on a header from senior defender Hunter Stiger (Cincinnati, Ohio/Lakota West). After a Capital corner, the ball was cleared out to Greg Knox (Oxford, Mich/Oxford) who crossed the ball right into Stiger's path.

Denison was much more aggressive in the second half with seven shots but weren't able to beat Niswonger on any of them. This game was Niswonger's third shutout of the season. Capital finished the game with a 13-8 advantage in shots and an 8-4 lead in corners.

Capital now has a few days to prepare before putting its winning streak on the line against No. 9 Washington and Lee University on Saturday, Sept. 16 on the road. That game is scheduled to begin at 12 p.m.