Crusaders Outlasted by Polar Bears, Fall 2-1 in Overtime

Crusaders Outlasted by Polar Bears, Fall 2-1 in Overtime
ADA, Ohio – Despite late pressure applied by the Crusaders offense, the Capital University men's soccer team dropped a 2-1 decision to the Polar Bears of Ohio Northern University, in overtime. Saturday night's loss marks Capital's first conference loss this season.

After a stalemate between the Crusaders (8-5-1 overall, 4-1-1 OAC) and the Polar Bears (9-6-1, 2-2-1) spanned nearly 70 minutes without a goal being scored, Capital controlled the pace for much of the last third before forcing overtime. Twice, Calvin Saunders had a chance to end the match early in the first overtime but his attempts sailed wide or high of the Polar Bear cage.

In the final two minutes of overtime, ONU pushed the ball forward to mount their first legit scoring chance of the extra session. The Polar Bears brought the ball down the near side of the field and pressed the center of the Crusaders defense. While their initial push was thwarted by the defense, Austin Horton was there to intercept an attempt to clear the ball, dribbled inside the 18-yard line and sent in the shot that ended the game. The goal marked his third of the season and halted the match with 1:21 remaining in overtime.

Capital goalkeeper Trevor Funk (Dublin, Ohio) acquired the loss, the first of his collegiate career after obtaining wins in his first four decisions. He made three saves on 14 shots faced.

Most of the action in the first half resided within a 30-second span of time in which both teams lit up the scoreboard. While Capital applied early pressure with shots by Jacob Pulliam and Calvin Saunders, that flow was broken when Grant Cayot scored his second goal of the season by beating Funk to the far post. The goal was scored 11:11 into the contest.

While the flow was disrupted, it was not destroyed. Just 20 seconds after ONU took the lead, Capital responded with the tying goal off of the foot of Josh McDaniel (Cincinnati, Ohio).  McDaniel beat ONU keeper Dean McNeil, marking his second goal of the season. Pulliam was credited with the assist, his second of the year.

Capital will play its next two matches at home, beginning with Marietta College on Wednesday, Oct. 22 at 4 p.m. Next Saturday, Oct. 25, the Crusaders will celebrate Senior Day while hosting John Carroll University.