Men's Soccer Caps Off Valiant Season in OAC Semifinals

Senior midfielder R.G. Florey. (Jeff Mills photo).
Senior midfielder R.G. Florey. (Jeff Mills photo).


ADA, Ohio – The Capital University men's soccer team suffered a 2-1 setback in an Ohio Athletic Conference Tournament semifinal at Ohio Northern.

A windy, rainy afternoon at Kerscher Stadium gave way to the elements playing a role throughout the entire semifinals match.  

In the first half of play, neither team could find the back of the net, as a scoreless opening frame was the result.

The Polar Bears held a distinct advantage in total shots (13) with just four of them coming on goal, while the Crusaders managed to unload just one of their three shots on goal.

Ohio Northern also held a seven to one advantage in corner kicks, but failed to capitalize on any of them in the opening half.

As the second half began, the Crusaders earned a corner kick in the 51st minute, as junior R.G. Florey curled a shot from the corner into the far side of the goal, but Capital was ruled offside.

Then in the 67th minute of play, Florey got a shot at redemption on a penalty kick, following a hand ball violation to the Polar Bears.

Following the Capital goal, Ohio Northern retaliated with a goal of its own, tying the game at 1-1 in the 69th minute, on a loose ball that was corralled by the Polar Bears and then passed for a shot put in past senior goalkeeper Bob Weisgarber.

Freshman Colton Phillips gave the Crusaders their last two clean looks at a potential game winning goal in regulation, but to no avail, as the shots sailed high on the first and wide on the second in the 86th and 89th minutes, respectively.

Heading into overtime, Ohio Northern's 24 to seven shot advantage was the most glaring statistic, as both teams combined for just nine total shots on goal in regulation.

As the first overtime period unfolded, the Polar Bears managed to strike a dangerous shot inside of the box in the 94th minute, but to no avail, as Weisgarber smothered the ball for the save.

Neither team would score in the initial overtime period, as the match progressed to double overtime.

Just four minutes into the second overtime period, the Polar Bears scored the decisive goal in the 104th minute, on a free kick into the box which was headed into the goal, advancing Ohio Northern, by a final score of 2-1, to the OAC Tournament Championship game.

Leading the way for the Crusaders was Florey, scoring his third goal of the season on the penalty kick, while Weisgarber faced 29 total shots, saving seven of them.

For the nine seniors on the men's soccer team, they competed in the final match of their Capital career, compiling an overall record of 40-29-8, accompanying an overall OAC record of 20-15-3.

The men's soccer team's Class of 2014 was also a four-time OAC Tournament qualifier, spanning from 2010-2013.

With the loss, the Crusaders conclude their 2013 campaign with a final record of 9-8-3, along with a 5-4 mark in the OAC.