Cap Loses Late Lead in Defeat Against Baldwin Wallace

Pictured: Tyler Faig (credit: Joe Maiorana, Impact Action Sports Photography)
Pictured: Tyler Faig (credit: Joe Maiorana, Impact Action Sports Photography)

By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director

COLUMBUS, Ohio – In a gritty conference bout between two Ohio Athletic Conference heavyweights, the Capital University men's lacrosse team fell on the wrong end of a 15-14 decision against the Baldwin Wallace Yellow Jackets on Saturday afternoon. The Yellow Jackets overcame a fourth-quarter deficit and used a costly late miscue to score the game-winning goal with less than two minutes remaining.

Capital (5-5, 1-2 OAC) took a two-goal lead into the fourth and had controlled much of game up until the turn of the quarter. Capital had multiple close-range opportunities in front of the BW cage, but was unable to bury them. Baldwin Wallace went the other way and on its opening attack of the fourth converted its chance to score the first of three straight scores.

Now up 13-12, senior Carson Paull (Sandpoint, Idaho/Sandpoint) unloaded a rocket that retied the game when he broke through the center of the BW defense and slung the rock into the cage for his second tally of the game. Senior Brennan O'Callaghan (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West) then gave Capital the lead with 6:37 remaining when he received a pass from behind the cage from sophomore C.J. Hughes (Cincinnati, Ohio/Walnut Hills) and then finished the play with a rope into the back of the net.

The Yellow Jackets and Crusaders then went three minutes without a goal being scored before Brock Riemenschneider changed that. He was on the end of a pass down to the far post and with a pump fake created just enough space to slip the game-tying shot past goaltender Cole Palmby.

Capital's Connor Ryan was then called for holding twice and was sent to the sideline for 60 seconds. The defense answered the call and kept BW scoreless while watching them send a pass out of play, allowing the Crusaders to retain possession with 1:49 remaining. Cap struggled to advance the ball and instead played it backward to regroup and make a second attempt. Defenseman James Wegmiller attempted a pass to the center of the field, intended for Palmby, but Chad Steinwachs contended and disrupted the pass. Steinwachs picked up the loose ball and immediately sent in a lightly contested shot toward an open cage to score the eventual game-winning goal as time expired on the man-up opportunity.

The Crusaders were able to win the ensuing faceoff and create three chances to score before the final whistle but after Hughes' final shot possession was awarded to BW and a long inbound pass dashed Cap's hopes of forcing overtime.

Capital won nearly every statistical category and held advantages in faceoff wins (20-12), shots (58-38), turnovers (18-15), man-up goals (2-1), and ground balls collected (35-30).

Tyler Faig (Pickerington, Ohio/Pickerington North) had another standout day on the X with all 20 of the team's faceoff wins. He also led the team with eight ground balls.  

Brennan O'Callaghan scored a game-high five times and added one assist for a six-point day. Barrett Naugle (Champion Pa./Greensburg Central) also had a strong day for Cap with four points behind three goals and an assist. he also picked up two ground balls.

Riemenschneider paced BW with four goals and was joined by Steinwachs and Matt McDowell with four points on the day. Steinwachs scored three times while McDowell had a game-high three assists.

Capital will regroup and prepare for a road contest at Muskingum University in its next action on April 11. The Muskies and Crusaders will meet for the opening faceoff at 7 p.m. inside McConagha Stadium.