Men’s Lacrosse Battles Back but Falls to Wooster, 12-11

Pictured: Brennan O'Callaghan (credit: Jamie Gaffney)
Pictured: Brennan O'Callaghan (credit: Jamie Gaffney)

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Capital University men's lacrosse team battled back from being four goals down to engage in a thriller to the end against The College of Wooster. Cap turned their play around in the second half to set up a potential go-ahead offensive charge, but the Fighting Scots repelled the attack to exit Bernlohr Stadium with a 12-11 win. With its second straight one-goal loss, Capital falls to 2-2 overall on the season.

The entire second half showed a change of fortunes for Capital after they trailed Wooster 9-6 at the half. Capital made a large improve on the 'X', which led to an increase in its offensive output a completely different half. Freshman C.J. Hughes (Cincinnati, Ohio/Walnut Hills) helped begin changing the momentum at the tail end of the third quarter when he scored back-to-back goals within 17 seconds of each other. Wooster's C.J. Polak was whistled for a non-releasable unsportsmanlike conduct penalty plus slashing, putting Capital on a two-minute man-up chance. Senior Brent Walton cashed in with a goal that was ripped from the left side, making the score 11-10 just 36 seconds into the fourth quarter.

Junior Brennan O'Callaghan (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West) tied the game just two minutes later when he awed the crowd with his team-leading 16th goal of the year. O'Callaghan came from behind the Wooster cage and was tripped up along the edge of the crease and while falling away from the goal tossed the ball through Wooster goaltender Wesley Wagner's legs with one sweeping motion. After a short discussion among officials, the goal was deemed good and tied the game, 11-11.

Wooster scored the go-ahead goal off of a turnover in the Capital attack area. Wooster's Cullen Kuhn picked up a loose ball dropped by Capital and high-tailed it down the field. Two passes later, Josh Herold took a quick, top-shelf shot that beat junior Cole Palmby with 9:02 left on the clock.

From that point on, Capital peppered Wagner with scoring chances but the freshman answered the call by making eight of his 18 saves to keep Capital off the board for the duration. The Crusaders had a man-up chance following a 60-second slashing penalty called against Wooster but Cap was only able to muster a pair of wide shots. O'Callaghan rattled off one more shot against Wagner, but was turned down one last time before the final horn sounded.

Capital won the overall faceoff battle, 14-13, but the first half belonged to Wooster on the 'X'. The Scots won 12-of-17 faceoffs, which also led to a 25-14 shot advantage. Conversely, Capital owned the second half, winning all six draws in the third quarter and then 3-of-4 in the fourth.

Sam Kuhn and Matt Parmelee each scored three times to led the Fighting Scots on the offensive end. Wagner finished with 18 saves of 29 chances.

O'Callaghan put 10 of his 12 shots on frame and was rewarded with a game-high four goals. He also grabbed three ground balls.

Junior Nick Bonsignore (Auburn Township, Ohio/Walsh Jesuit) had a day in the middle with seven ground balls and two caused turnovers. Carson Paull and Hughes ended the night with two goals, each.

After winning its first two games by a combined 22 goals, Capital has now lost two straight by one goal, including one in overtime. They will hit the road in their next contest at Wittenberg University on Wednesday, March 15 at 7 p.m.