Capital Holds Off JCU to Advance to OAC Championship

Capital Holds Off JCU to Advance to OAC Championship

Related links:  Bill Olin postgame interview  

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Capital University's men's lacrosse team downed the John Carroll University Blue Streaks for the second time this season in a physical Ohio Athletic Conference semifinal matchup.

Capital (15-2, 6-0 OAC) was aggressive from the start, firing off five shots in a span of two minutes on its second possession. John Carroll (9-8, 3-3) gained possession after the fifth shot, only to have the ball taken away by Carson Paull (Sandpoint, Idaho), who found the net to score the game's first goal.

John Carroll's only goal of the half came at the 5:40 mark in the first quarter when Collin Rice score to bring the score to 2-1.

With time running out in the first quarter, Paull took a pass from Brent Walton (Pickerington, Ohio) and ripped it from the right side to put the Crusaders up 4-1 with six ticks left on the clock.

Capital took a 6-1 lead into the break, after adding two goals in the second quarter.

The Blue Streaks were on the offensive in the second half, winning the opening faceoff to score a quick goal, seven seconds into the third quarter.

Sophomore midfielder Jeff Simmons (Lewis Center, Ohio) answered with a goal of his own before the Crusaders experienced an offensive drought.

Trailing 7-4, John Carroll took advantage of a pair of man-up opportunities in the third and fourth periods. With 5:54 left to go in the third quarter, Capital was penalized with an illegal procedure, forcing a Crusader defender to the sideline for thirty seconds. Macgregor Roberts scored the goal, shortly after the penalty was called.

Head coach Bill Olin postgame interview

In the fourth quarter, Capital was penalized for pushing on the same play. The penalty forced the Crusaders to play in a man-down scenario for one minute. John Carroll's Keegan Flinter sliced a shot down the middle to tilt momentum in the Blue Streaks' favor.

Walton, for the second time in the match, came through when time was a factor as the Crusaders held a 7-6 lead. With 2:18 left to play, Walton scored his second goal of the game to ensure Capital's victory.

Paull and Walton paced the Crusaders with two goals apiece. Walton also led Capital with a pair of assists.

The Blue Streaks won 16 of the 17 faceoffs but could not convert them into goals, due to Capital's stout defense.

Freshman goalkeeper Cole Palmby (Delaware, Ohio) improved his record to 13-2 on his way to collecting a career-high 16 saves, also a new school record.

The Crusaders will face #2 Otterbein University, who defeated #3 Baldwin Wallace University this evening, 11-8. The title tilt will take place at Bernlohr Stadium in the on Saturday, May 2 at 5:30 p.m. for the right to be crowned OAC Tournament Champion and receive an automatic berth to the NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse Tournament.