By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The energy and the pace were high at The Capital Center in Saturday afternoon's Ohio Athletic Conference showdown between Capital University and John Carroll University. It took two overtime periods to decide a winner and ultimately, fouls and a plethora of turnovers prevent Capital from completing the season sweep over the Blue Streaks. JCU defeated Cap 100-89 in double overtime.
THE FINAL MOMENTS … OF REGULATION
- Capital took the lead for the first time with 8:24 remaining in regulation and went on to build a seven-point lead with 4:55 to go.
- James Berger converted a key and-one opportunity and was followed by Ryan Berger's 3-pointer to tie the game at 76-all with 3:24 remaining in the half.
- Free throws carried the action over the next minutes and ultimately resulted in an 81-81 score to the buzzer.
- Both teams traded buckets and split trips to the free-throw line early in the first overtime.
- Each team scored just five points in the overtime session. Tyler Schreck scored four of Cap's five points, while Ryan Berger matched him on the other side of the court.
- With Reed Bradfield and Griffin Doseck both having fouled out by the early moments of the second overtime, John Carroll used it's inside presence to score the first five points of the frame.
- Capital was unable to keep pace with John Carroll and was held without a field goal in six attempts in overtime number two. The Crusaders' only points came on free throws.
- Playing from behind, Capital was forced to foul and sent JCU to the free-throw line 12 times. The Blue Streaks connected on 10 of those attempts.
- Capital was marred by turnovers over the course of the game and ended the contest with 30, which led to 36 JCU points.
- Capital finished with a higher shooting percentage (.475) than John Carroll (.421) but also had 17 fewer opportunities.
- The Crusaders held a vast advantage on the boards, outrebounding JCU 49-29. Fourteen of those rebounds were on the offensive glass.
- Two Crusaders ended the game with double-doubles. Ganiyu Yahaya closed out the game with 24 points and 12 rebounds, while Reed Bradfield finished with 20 points and 13 rebounds. He also had four assists.
- Two additional Cap players ended in double figures. Tyler Schreck ended with 17 points and seven rebounds before fouling out.
- Freshman Griffin Doseck earned his first collegiate start in place of the injured Joe Hartmann. Doseck went on to score 10 points, post four rebounds and two assists.
- Three JCU players scored 20 or more points, led by Jackson Sartain's 24. Jimmy Berger scored 20 and was one rebound shy of a double-double. With a free throw late in the game, he achieved his 1,000th career point.
Capital (110-10, 7-7 OAC) will regroup and ready to hit the road on Wednesday, February 12 when they play Heidelberg University. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.