By: Ryan Gasser, sports information director
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Capital University men's basketball team suffered its first loss of the season in a close bout against the Britons of Albion College. In a battle of purples, the Crusaders fell to the Britons, 75-70, to split weekend action at its own Capital Tipoff Classic at The Capital Center Performance Arena.
THE FIRST BIG RUN(S)
- Through the opening 11 minutes, the Britons and Crusaders played to a 17-17 tie with multiple lead changes. Then the Brits went on a 13-4 run led by Jamezell Davis, who accounted for eight of those points.
- Capital stormed back to tie the game, 30-30 with made free throws by Ryan Roth and Dylan Dupler, plus a triple from Ganiyu Yahaya to pair with Joe Hartmann's close-range bucket.
- Just two free throws separated the two teams before they went into the halftime break, though Albion had a slight advantage, 36-34, after Davis knocked home a pair of freebies.
ON THEIR HEELS
- Albion went to its inside game in the second half to pound home 39 points in the second stanza. While Davis took a back seat in the action, seven different Albion scorers found the stat sheet, led by Caden Ebeling and Juwan Perry who both scored seven.
- The Britons went 0-for-6 from 3-point range, but shot 52 percent from inside the arc in the second half. While Capital's shooting percentages exceeded the Britons, their opportunities did not. Cap equaled Albion's number of field goals made, and the Brits went to the free throw line and shot effectively enough to hold on to its lead.
- Capital trailed by as few as two points in the second half, but also as many as nine. Cap never saw a tie or lead in the second half after going bucket-for-bucket with Albion until free throw shooting helped the Britons pull away for good.
- For the second straight game, senior Ganiyu Yahaya (Abuja, Nigeria/Wesley Christian) led the Crusaders in scoring with 16 points, though he shot just 5-of-15 from the field.
- Sophomore Reed Bradfield (Dixie Heights, Ky./Dixie Heights) had a second straight night with 10-plus points with a new career high 14. He also had four rebounds and four assists, plus two blocks.
- Junior Joe Hartmann (Cincinnati, Ohio/LaSalle) had another double-digit rebound night behind a team-high 11 boards.
- Jamezell Davis of Albion led all scorers with 23 points on 6-of-12 shooting and a 7-for-8 day from the charity stripe.
- Capital (1-1) will now hit the road for the first time this regular season to play Denison University on Wednesday, November 20 at 8 p.m.