Cap Defense Comes Up Big in Thrilling 42-41 Double OT Win Over BW

Cap Defense Comes Up Big in Thrilling 42-41 Double OT Win Over BW

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Saturday afternoon's football game between Baldwin Wallace University and Capital University came down to the very last play of the game, in double overtime, before a winner walked away from Purmort Field at Bernlohr Stadium. Capital proved to be that winner, 42-41, following one final stand on the game-deciding play.

After four quarters of play both teams stood in a 28-28 standstill, with Baldwin Wallace's touchdown in the final minute forcing overtime. Baldwin Wallace (2-6, 1-6 OAC) took to offense first and scored to take a 35-28 lead.

Capital responded with its drive that ended in an 11-yard touchdown pass from junior Connor McCloud (Reynoldsburg, Ohio/Reynoldsburg) to junior Hunter Smith (Zanesville, Ohio/Philo). That score forced a second overtime, which Capital then took to the offensive first. Following a pass to sophomore Eddie Preciado to get the Crusaders inside the five-yard line, junior quarterback Nick Iske (Hilliard, Ohio/Hilliard Davidson) banged it home with a keeper up the middle.

Capital was unable to keep the Yellow Jackets out of the end zone when they got the ball back after BW quarterback Jake Hudson ran it in from 11 yards out. Baldwin Wallace then elected to go for the win, lining up for a two-point conversion. After both teams swapped timeouts, play finally resumed and Capital mounted yet another big game-deciding stop. Baldwin Wallace running back Austin Smith had a path carved out into the end zone, but as he was met by sophomore J.R. Garrigo (Miami, Fla.) and junior Derek Eibon (Amherst, Ohio) at the goal line a collision ensued and the ball popped out short of the goal. Senior defensive back Chuck English (Cincinnati, Ohio/St. Xavier) capped off a great day by falling on the ball in the end zone, resulting in a touchback and the end of the game on the failed two-point conversion.

The Capital defense came up big for Capital despite allowing 485 total yards. The defensive unit caused four turnovers, which led to 21 Capital points. Cap forced two fumbles and picked off Jake Hudson twice. Sophomore Jordan Duncan was responsible for one of those turnovers, causing and recovering one fumble, and also adding a blocked field goal which led to another Capital touchdown. The blocked field goal was Capital's first since 2011.

Sophomore Drew Selegue set a new career-high with 11 total tackles after his role was expanded to move around the field more. Eibon finished with nine tackles, one sack and one tackle for loss.

Chuck English not only came up with the final fumble recovery to end the game, but his interception in the fourth quarter went back for six points and tied the game at 21-21. The pick six went back 98 yards, marking the first interception returned for a touchdown since the 2014 season. It now also has a share for the second-longest interception return in Capital program history.

McCloud and Iske split time under center in Saturday's game with an injury to Thomas Wibbeler. Iske earned the start but their respective stat lines were impressive in their own rite. Iske got it done on the ground, rushing for 95 yards and two touchdowns on 25 tries. He also threw for 56 yards. McCloud finished with three touchdowns, two through the air and one on the ground. The junior accumulated 169 passing yards on 12-of-16 attempts. He also added 30 yards and one touchdown on the ground.

The quarterback combo connected six times with freshman wide receiver David Barnett (Springfield, Ohio/Shawnee). Barnett totaled 89 yards and one score to lead all receivers.

Also garnering attention on the offense was junior Nick Waters (Hilliard, Ohio/Hilliard Davidson) who put up 208 all-purpose yards. Of those, 120 yards came in kick returns, 24 on the ground, and 64 receiving.

Aiding in the special teams game, senior Will Weir (Zanesville, Ohio/Zanesville) had a solid game hitting 4-of-4 point-after touchdown attempts.

The win snaps a three-game losing streak for Capital, and improves their record to 4-4 overall, 4-3 in the OAC.  Their four wins in a season is now the most since the 2011 campaign when the team went 5-5.

Capital now prepares for its final road game of the season, where they will face off against the high-scoring Marietta College Pioneers. That game will take place next Saturday, November 5, at 1:30 p.m.